I'm Trying Not to Look







   In case you happened to be out of the country, in a coma or just plain not paying attention Kim Kardashian and Kanye West got married over the weekend. Many internet articles have been posted over the past few weeks speculating on the location, the clothes and the guest list. It was being built up as the epic wedding of all time.
   Now that it's over there are articles and pictures of all the events. There are pictures of the dresses, the venue, the kiss and the reception photo booth. There's coverage of the after parties and honeymoon.
   A few of the things I have seen have quoted the cost of the wedding dress. I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that someone would spend that much on an event that lasts a couple of days. It seems almost obscene and wasteful to me. There are so many ways that money could be better spent.
  I've been trying not to look at any of the articles or any of the pictures. I know that I'm going into middle aged grump mode, but I don't care. The fact is I find the whole thing rather offensive. I'm conservative when it comes to marriage. I believe that it is a ceremony that marks the beginning of two people who have chosen to build a life together. It's a commitment that should be entered into thoughtfully, deliberately and totally. Such displays as this wedding has been, to me make a mockery out of marriage.
   I have a problem with all the emphasis that is placed on a wedding. You can find all kinds of articles on wedding styles, favors, venues, cakes, attendants etc. It's too much in my opinion.
  That's the way it seems to be these days, especially with celebrities. It's not enough to have the wedding and a reception with maybe a dance afterward. It has to be big, splashy and ostentatious.
   What bothers me is that very little time seems to be given toward thinking about the marriage. You know, that reason that you had the wedding in the first place. It seems to me that it is no longer a life time commitment. Instead of until death do you part it's until I get tired of you or find something better. Instead of in sickness and in health, in good times and bad, for richer or poorer it's until better or I'm bailing.
   As much as I am disgusted by this whole wedding, I'm also a little curious. What did the dresses look like and what kinds of flowers were there? What kind of music did they have? Did Kanye sing to her? Did they have fireworks, literally? Did anyone do the "rabbit ears" behind someone in the photo booth pictures?
  I'm not going to give in. One thing I am trying to do is to be careful of how I spend my time and attention. The time I spend gawking at wedding pictures could be better spent grooming a cat or practicing an instrument. I could be putting away my winter clothes or working on the scarf I'd promised Carrie I'd knit for her.
   As tempting as it is I'm not going to give in, but I do hope the articles taper off. Preferably soon.
  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project