Cold Weather



     We're in a cold snap. I have just looked at the thermometer and it says -9 degrees outside. Most people would be complaining about this. I am not one of those people. I am one of those insane folks that lives in this part of the country by choice. I personally believe that cold weather is good for you. Today I am going to give some reasons why cold weather is a good thing.
   I am an introvert. This means that, while I do like to be around people, for my own sanity's sake I need a little time where I am either alone or not around a lot of people. Cold weather is my friend. No one expects you to go out in cold weather. It provides all kinds of polite excuses for avoiding social contact. Your car won't start. You're feeling a little under the weather and the cold air makes it worse. No one would think twice about such excuses when the temperature is 5 degrees Fahrenheit or below. This means that I can have the quiet space I need so I can function better when I am around people.
   I am much more productive when it's cold outside. I'm not tempted to go out for a walk, for a bike ride or a trip to the store. It's just too cold. Better to stay at home. As long as I'm home I might as well get some things done. I can clean up the kitchen. I can organize. I can practice. I can knit. I can write. I can do all kinds of things. I've managed to get caught up on correspondence, finish off some continuing ed stuff and have quality time with the cats.
   The food is better in cold weather. I'm sure that the lovers of fresh produce will disagree with me on this. I do like fresh fruit and fresh vegetables, but there are some dishes that can only be appreciated during cold weather. A fresh batch of chili cooked in a crockpot is very good on a cold day. Not only does it taste good, it also makes the house smell good too. Most of what people consider to be "comfort food" , is cold weather food. Meatloaf, lasagna, roast beef, mashed or baked potatoes are a few examples. Soups and stews are good this time of year. There  are a lot of breakfast foods that taste good when the temps go down oatmeal, pancakes, eggs with bacon, grits and one of my favorites chocolate flavored Malt o Meal with marshmallows.
  Drinks are better too. Who hasn't at one point in time savored a steaming cup of hot chocolate, mulled apple cider, tea or coffee? Didn't it taste good especially if you were out shoveling, skiing or ice skating? Mulling cider is another thing that wafts a wonderful scent around the house.
   I like wearing winter clothes too. In the winter you have to cover up. I have a nice collection of sweaters from over the years. Some of them are whimsical like my sweater that has pictures of cat faces on it. Some of them are plain and just begging to be accessorized with a scarf or a pin. Others are simply meant to keep me warm.  I like the fact that at this time of year fashion mostly takes a back seat to comfort. (I say mostly because most party dresses are still sleeveless.) Many people are too bundled up in coats or scarves to show off the latest couture. The rest are too cold to care. One point for those of us that ignore that latest fashions. No one knows that we are wearing a sweater from five years ago. Cold weather is also a boon to those of us who are not fashionably thin. In a down parka, no one notices your figure. I almost forgot to mention one of my favorites, fleece pajamas. They are warm, colourful and the cats love them. The best part is, on the really cold days when you know you are not going to be seeing anyone, you can wear them all day.
  One thing that living in this part of the country teaches you is how to deal with the things you cannot change. We hardy souls of the north are pretty good at adapting and making the best of what we have. We may seem like an odd bunch, but we do just fine.
  I just looked at the thermometer again. It's -6 now, warming up.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project