Size Doesn't Matter



   I'm sure most of you have heard about Jennifer Livingston by now. For those who missed it, Jennifer Livingston is a television anchorwoman who received an email telling her that as an overweight person she should not consider herself a good example for young people in the area. The writer told her that she should be more responsible and promote a healthy lifestyle. Her response to this email has been the subject of news stories, blogs,tweets and Facebook postings.
   The reason why this was given so much publicity is that it is widely considered to be bullying. I'm probably going to get into trouble for saying this,but I don't consider this email to be bullying. Unkind, inconsiderate,small minded and ill advised, but not bullying. The man was expressing an opinion that he had, nothing more.
   This does not mean I agree with the writer of the email. What bothers me about it isn't that it's an example of bullying. It's the implication that someone who is overweight can't be a good role model. That what you look like matters. It is a constant amazement to me how human beings can make judgements on others based solely on how they look at one point in time.
   Why do people do this?
  You cannot assume that a person is a poor example based on weight or anything else. I'm guessing that the writer of the email would consider Kim Kardashian an appropriate weight. Does that mean that he would also consider her to be an appropriate role model? I sure wouldn't.
  I have seen pictures of Jennifer Livingston. Yes, she is heavy. Definitely overweight and possibly obese. I also see that she is neatly dressed. Her clothes fit. As far as I can see she takes care of herself. According to the online profile at her news station she has worked there for 11 years and has wanted to be a journalist since high school. She graduated from college. She is married and has three children. I seriously doubt that she spends her day on the couch eating Twinkies and watching soap operas. From what I can see I would not have any problem with a young woman taking her as a role model, based on the information I've found.
   Size,in this case, doesn't matter. I'm sure she struggles with her weight. The majority of women do. That's all right. If anything a person who struggles with something makes a good role model. It's easier to relate to someone who is dealing with challenges of some sort in their lives than to someone who skates along with no obstacles.
   It is actions and content of character that should count more when looking for a role model or a mentor. Not size, not clothes, not wealth and not popularity. As Ms Livingston said in her rebuttal to the email, "I am much more than a number on the scale." The "more" part is what we should be looking for.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project