Someone I Wish I Could Meet

Last Sunday when I went to church with C we stayed for all three hours of church. (Yes, church is three hours long.) The last hour is when men, women and children break up into various groups to meet for a lesson.
Since it is the beginning of the year, we got new books from which lessons will be taught. One of the new books I got was 'Teachings of the Presidents of the Church George Albert Smith'.
After reading a bit in the book and listening to the lesson that was taught that Sunday, I have decided that George Albert Smith is someone that I wish I could meet. For those of you who don't know who I'm talking about, he was the eighth president of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. He was born in 4 April 1870 and died on that same day 81 years later.
There are three reasons why I'd like to meet President Smith.
The first reason, at the risk of offending my LDS readers, is that he simply seems to good to be true. Are the things I read about him true or flattery? Let me share with you three stories about him.
In 1882 his father was called to president of the European Mission. This meant that his father would be living away from home in Europe and George Albert would be required to help the family. At age 13 he applied for a job in a church owned manufacturing plant and department store. He was told by the manager that they could not afford to hire anyone. He said that he not asked to be paid, only to work. He was confident that if he worked hard he would be paid. His attitude earned him a factory job that paid $ 2.50 a week. His strong work ethic enabled him to advance in the company. Who these days would do something like that? Would it even be allowed?
Here is another story as told by Spencer W. Kimball. "It was reported to (President Smith) that someone had stolen from his buggy the buggy robe. Instead of being angry,he responded:' I wish we knew who it was,so we could give him the blanket also,for he must have been cold; and some food also, for he must have been hungry." Most people when informed that someone has stolen something from them would want to find the person who did so, but for a much different reason. That shows a very rare generosity.
The third story takes place in the summer. City workers were doing some repair work on the street near President Smith's home. The day was hot and the men were loud and using language that was offensive to the residents who had their windows open in hopes of catching a cooling breeze.
One of the residents came out and asked the men to watch their language. He pointed out that President Smith lived nearby and asked for the men to be more respectful and be quiet. This ignited a spate of more bad language.
President Smith made some lemonade. He put the pitcher on a tray and brought it out along with some glasses. He carried the tray out and invited the workmen to sit under the trees in his yard and enjoy a cool drink. The men came and drank. After their break they went back to work and finished the task carefully and quietly. Now, be honest, what would you have done? Would you have done as President Smith had done or would you have placed a call to the supervisor in charge of the workers to complain? I'd like to think that I would have shown kindness to the workers,but I probably would have sat in my house and fumed.
President Smith said, "I do not have an enemy that I know of and there is no one in the world that I have any enmity towards. All men and all women are my Father's children" What a gift to be able to say this. I know there are a few people who would consider me an enemy and a few that I do not like. My comfort is that President Smith was nearly twice my age when he said this. There is still time.
The second reason why I would like to meet President Smith is to thank him. He was President of the Church at the end of World War II. The war had left many in Europe homeless and without means. He organized the resources of the Church to provide aid to those people. It is possible that some of that aid could have come to members of my family still living in Europe who had been forced to flee from their home during the war or who were prisoners of war in Russia. He said this shortly after the end of the war, "The best evidence of gratitude at this time is to do all we can to bring happiness to this sad world, for we are all our Father's children, and we are under the obligation of making this world a happier place for our having lived in it." I have always felt that part of the reason why we are here is to make the world a better place. President Smith, I offer my most sincere thanks and hope to emulate in my small way your example.
The last reason why I would like to meet him is in hope that some of his attitudes of kindness and generosity would rub off on me. I haven't completely read the book, but one thing is clear. President Smith loved all people and sought to live the eleven resolutions regarding his actions he made for himself at age 34. Reading about his actions and his words has been inspiring to me. I would imagine it would be even more inspiring to meet the man who is the subject of my reading.
The book quotes the inscription on President Smith's gravestone. Since it is a good summary of the man,his life and work, I will use it to end this column.
"He understood and disseminated the teachings of Christ and was uncommonly successful in putting them into practice. He was kindly,patient,wise tolerant, and understanding. He went about doing good. He loved Utah and America,but was not provincial. He had faith, without reservation, in the need for and the power of love. For his Church and his family he had unbounded affection and served them passionately. Yet his love was not limited; it included all men regardless of race, faith or station. To them and of them he frequently said:'We are all our Father's children.'"
Information for this column was taken from "Teachings of the Presidents of the Church George Albert Smith" and the Wikipedia article about George Albert Smith.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project