March Madness

It's all Jimmer's fault.
I had my brackets all set up. I had picked the majority of the first round correctly. The ones I missed turned out to be close games so I wasn't worried. My bracket was still intact.
Then BYU played Gonzaga and beat them. That's when things started to fall apart. My intact bracket was gone. Half of the teams I'd picked to go into the Sweet 16 were packing up their gear and going home. I blame Jimmer.
If you haven't heard of Jimmer Fredette or the BYU Cougars you must have had your ears plugged or been in a coma for the last few months. Fredette has put up some amazing numbers for the Cougars this season and the team got into the NCAA tournament. This was pleasant news to Cougar fans. Many people didn't think that BYU would go far into the tournament due to the loss of Brandon Davies for an honor code violation.
The team has pulled together. They beat Wofford to get to the next round and then beat Gonzaga another team on a hot streak. The upsets began.
Eight seed Butler beat first seed Pittsburgh. Number two ranked Notre Dame fell to Florida State (ranked 10) Virginia Commonwealth who had to play in to get into the first round beat Purdue (rank 3). Marquette beat Syracuse, another upset as the six seed Golden Eagles triumphed over the third seed Syracuse Orange.
Thanks to the upsets I was down to a measly eight teams.
I think I've been Jimmered. (Yes, his name has become a noun and a verb.) He started it.
I'm happy for the Cougars. They have managed to find a way to stay competitive despite the loss of a key player. They have also, as far as I've seen, been quite supportive of Davies. His suspension could have cut their run into the tournament short. Instead of taking the time to verbally lash out at him, they have been finding ways to play without him. Other teams on all levels should take notice.
The tournament starts up again next weekend. I hope that my Elite Eight bracket stays intact. It will be interesting as a lot of the games were very close. We'll see.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Simple Things

Released

Looking for A New Project